Last Updated on November 28, 2023
As the leaves begin to fall, you might be embracing the spirit of Sober(ish) October. But that can get challenging when drinking occasions start to pepper your calendar, from happy hours to hosting. Luckily, cutting back on alcohol doesn’t have to mean cutting back on these moments. There’s now a vast world of alcohol alternatives to explore.
At Dry Atlas, we’ve cataloged over 1,000 non-alcoholic spirits, wines, beers, and ready-to-drink mocktails. These beverages aren’t just about abstaining from alcohol; they offer a chance to indulge in the ritual of drinking, savor sophisticated flavors, and relax in a more healthful way—all while reducing your alcohol intake.
Here, we’ll guide you through some of our picks for various occasions. The best part? No mixology degree required. These beverages shine on their own or when paired with a splash of seltzer.
Happy Hour Drink Options for Sober(ish) October
The clock strikes five, and the allure of unwinding with coworkers is undeniable. But, when you’re keen on reducing alcohol, what’s the alternative to your usual brews?
Non-alcoholic beers are not just placeholders; they’re a burgeoning category in their own right. With bars and restaurants increasingly offering them, you can enjoy the familiar ritual without the alcohol. Plus, they look exactly like the real deal. No need to field questions from that one nosy cubicle neighbor.
Here are three stellar options to look for:
- Grüvi – Golden Lager: a crisp, light-bodied lager that offers a malty sweetness with a hint of bitterness
- Bravus Brewing Co – Oatmeal Stout: a rich, velvety stout with notes of chocolate, coffee, and a hint of caramel—a comforting brew for cooler evenings
- Athletic Brewing – Run Wild: refreshing, with a hoppy aroma and a clean finish
Park Picnic Drink Options for Sober(ish) October
October is the perfect time to enjoy the outdoors before colder temps drive you inside. Imagine a crisp, sunny day, a comfy blanket on the grass, and a basket brimming with treats.
Instead of grabbing a bottle of wine, you can elevate your next picnic with these ready-to-drink mocktails:
- ISH – Non-Alcoholic G&T: full of the juniper berries, woody character, and citrus you expect, plus a balance of sweet and bitter that adds complexity
- Curious Elixirs – No. 5: a smoked cherry chocolate Old Fashioned-style mocktail infused with elderberry and ginger
- St Agrestis – Phony Negroni: a bittersweet symphony of herbs, citrus, and spices—the Negroni experience without the alcohol
Cozy Dinner Zero-Proof Drinks for Sober(ish) October
You’ve whipped up your fall favorites for dinner and now you’re craving your usual red wine. But a La Croix won’t cut it. If you want to complement your meal, look no further than dark and spicy alcohol alternatives.
Here are some options that stand up to heartier dishes:
- Tenneyson – Black Ginger: this spicy, aromatic blend of ginger and subtle floral notes will add depth to any meal
- Surely – Bubbly Red: a sparkling red with notes of dark berries, a hint of vanilla, and a bubbly effervescence that’s perfect for toasting
- Acid League Proxies – Nightshade: a complex blend of dark fruits, spices, and herbs that pairs well with hearty dishes
Sunday Brunch Alcohol-Free Options for Sober(ish) October
Brunch without mimosas? Absolutely! If you’re focused on cutting back, skipping alcoholic drinks before sundown can be a great strategy. But that can be hard to do when you’re craving a sophisticated sparkling daytime bev.
Here are some alternatives you and your brunch guests will love:
- Ghia – Ginger Spritz: a zesty concoction of ginger, citrus, and herbs
- Prima Pavé – Rose Brut: a sparkling rose with delicate notes of red berries, peach, and a floral hint
- Sovi – Sparkling White: a crisp, refreshing bubbly with notes of green apple, pear, and a touch of minerality
Relaxing Night at Home Drink Options for Sober(ish) October
After a long week, there’s nothing better than a chill night in. If you’re reducing booze this month, you’re probably craving something that gives you a sense of unwinding.
Here’s your non-alcoholic relaxation lineup:
- Allay Wines – Cabernet Sauvignon: a robust red with layers of blackcurrant, plum, and a touch of oak—plus calming ingredients like ashwagandha and reishi
- The Pathfinder – Hemp And Root Elixir: a herbal delight for those who appreciate the complexity of amaros
- Three Spirit – Nightcap: a luscious blend of botanicals and spices with just a hint of sweetness
Choosing to drink mindfully doesn’t mean compromising on taste or experience. With so many fantastic non-alcoholic options available, you can enjoy every occasion to the fullest. Remember, it’s not about what you’re giving up. It’s about embracing a whole new world of alternatives out there. Cheers to optionality!